Live-in Caregiver / Nanny

What do I need in order to work as a caregiver in Canada?
As a foreign caregiver you need a work permit to work in Canada. In order to obtain a work permit you need an employer that has agreed to hire you and you are required to make an application to the Live-In Caregiver Program. If your application is successful, you will receive a work permit.

Live in caregiver Program, what is it?
The Live-In Caregiver Program is a formal program established by the Canadian government to allow professional caregivers outside of Canada to receive a work permit to work in Canada. After two years work as a full-time live-in caregiver, it is possible to acquire permanent status in Canada for you and your family.
That is why a lot of foreign caregivers use the Live in Caregiver Program as a way to immigrate to Canada.

Who can apply for live in caregiver program?
You must meet certain requirements to be eligible for this program. Below are the criteria set out by the Canadian government:


Successful completion of Canadian secondary school education
You must have successfully completed the equivalent of Canadian high school education (secondary school). Because of the differences in school systems across Canada, it is not possible to give a precise number of years. In most provinces, it takes 12 years of schooling to obtain a Canadian high school diploma. The immigration officer assessing your application will let you know what is needed.

At least six months’ training, or at least one year of full-time paid work experience in the past three years
To claim work experience, you need to have worked for one year, including at least six months of continuous employment for the same employer in a field or occupation similar to what you will do as a live-in caregiver. This experience must have been within the three years immediately before the day on which you make an application for a work permit as a caregiver.
To claim training, it must be full-time training in a classroom setting. Areas of study could be early childhood education, geriatric care, pediatric nursing or first aid.

Good knowledge of English or French
You must be able to speak, read and understand either English or French so you can function on your own in your employer’s home. For example, you must be able to call emergency services if they are needed, and to understand labels on medication. You will be unsupervised for most of the day and may have to communicate with someone outside the home. You can also read and understand your rights and obligations if you can function in English or French.


Immigration Inc.