How can I extend my Canadian Visa?

If you are currently in Canada and you hold valid Temporary Resident Visa, you are eligible to apply for visa extensions (some conditions apply). First thing you have to think about is, whether you would like to stay in Canada under same conditions or you would like to change your visa status for example from Visitor to Worker. Second thing is, you have to apply at least 30 days prior to your current visa expiration in order to do any of the following:

  • extend your visitor, student or work status
  • change the type of permit you hold (for example,  from a student to a work permit)
  • change a condition of your permit (for example, if you are studying and you want to change schools, or if you are working and your want to change jobs)


Applying from within Canada

Accordingly, temporary residents with expired visas who wish to travel need to obtain a new visa before they leave Canada. Traditionally, applicants who did so applied outside Canada, generally at a Canadian consulate in the United States.

Starting in the summer of 2012, however, Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) launched a pilot project that allows people to apply for new visas by submitting their application to the Case Processing Project in Ottawa. The documentary requirements are much less onerous than for submitting the application abroad, and the specifics can be found on the CIC website.

So if you’re a temporary foreign worker or student and are planning a trip abroad, have a quick look at your visa to see if it’s expired, so you can get a new one before you go.


Visa extensions in Canada


Immigration Inc.